Monday 24 November 2008

Xiqou Mountain



Today we visited Xiqou Mountain which is the home of the largest seated Buddha in the world measuring in excess of 60m tall, quite a spectalcular piece of engineering formed in copper sheeting as the external envelope. A bit similar to the Statue of Liberty in that you can climb up inside to viewing points within it. The whole thing sits atop the mountain which lies twixt Shunde, Longjian and Foshan with fabulous views over the adjoining lake, village and the city.
It was quite a climb, I lost count of the steps, but well worth the effort.
I did a rough calculation last night and estimate that we have travelled over 5000 miles within China this trip! No wonder my dear wife was feeling a bit tired when we returned to Guangdong Province!!
We had a most enjoyable lunch yesterday with former colleagues of my wife, who as usual, presented me with gifts of the highest quality tea!
Another lunch and a dinner tonight too. My wife has lost 2 kilos weight this trip but I have not lost ANY, it is unfair, I have tried really. I was hoping a diet of rice, vegetables and not much meat, no alcohol to speak of and no cake or chocolate biscuits would do the business.

No comments: