Wednesday 12 November 2008

China Progress



Nanchang was an interesting City but not inspiring, whereas Shanghai was fairly inspiring architecturally but overwhelming with people and traffic, moreover I was tailed by a street gang of 6 men in their 20's in the style of Fagin's pupils.
Managed to elude thm eventually but a very uncomfortable experience and far TOO MANY people in the city (I was told 40 million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
We managed to track down a new bar & restaurant recently opened by Wayne Ho, the cousin of Gary Ma who runs a UK restaurant which we frequent for its fabulous Cantonese cuisine.
Wayne treated us to a lovely meal prepared by his own hands of a local speciality and we really enjoyed the experience. He will be back in the UK next April so we will meet again then.
I wont be rushing back their too soon although I do have a conference there in 2010.

By contrast the old capital of China, Nanjing, is superb and very beautiful and of a more human scale wit no noticeable beggars or petty criminals encountered. I was given the royal treatment by very kind hosts, the president of the company which I was visiting acted as chauffeur and treated us to lunch and dinner and then the Dean of the University where I was giving the lecture also gave us a wonderful meal the next evening. We lunched with the head of drugs from Nanjing hosptal on the last day and apart from some spicy dishes too hot for my delicate palate, the local food is extremely good,, especially the smoked duck.
We move on to Peking (as still referred to here) next.

No comments: