Saturday 28 March 2009

Hold on please!!

This week I visited a remote farm and barn in Herefordshire and was confronted by an amusing sight. The picture illustrates the temporary support measures that the local builder provided to the wall of the barn..............

As you can see there is a canvas strap through the window / door reveal opening and then it is ties around the nearby TREE!!!!
I also went to Cardigan and spotted this sight outside the Town Hall.


Last night I attended a Faculty dinner where the guest speaker was Ann Widdicombe, who , to my surpise, was quite entertaining. The star of the evening though was Terry Langdon of Gleeds, the incoming President, who had me in stitches. He described the professional members of the Building Team as follows:
The Architects as knowing a little about quite a lot but as they progress through their careers end up knowing very little about nearly everything; the Structural Engineers as knowing a great deal about very little and who end up knowing everything about nothing; the Quantity Surveyors he described as those, who after the battle, go around bayonetting the wounded; and finally the Lawyers who follow them by skinning the dead!
My apologies for anyy errors in my memory of these descriptions. But I firmly believe that the Faculty will have a good year under Terry's guidance.
Have a good weekend.

1 comment:

Bill's Blog said...

Hi John,
Is the wall holding the tree up, or the tree holding the wall up?
Bill.